The Boulder Municipal Airport has a voluntary noise abatement program. Noise abatement procedures are designed to minimize the level of aircraft noise near residential areas, while ensuring the safety of flight operations. Pilots are asked to be aware of noise-sensitive neighborhoods and to follow the voluntary noise abatement procedures during the flight operation.
Boulder Municipal Airport Noise Abatement Procedures
- All traffic pattern entries should be conducted in conformity with the City of Boulder Airport Noise Abatement procedures. All aircraft should be flown at or above 7,500 feet mean sea level (MSL) over noise-sensitive areas (outside of the traffic pattern) and at reduced power settings. Avoid these areas when possible.
- All downwind legs should be south of Jay Road, and all base legs should be east of 30th Street for landings on Runway 8.
- Operate aircraft at the most reduced power settings (that are safely possible) in the airport traffic pattern or while entering the pattern. This reduces the number of extended final approaches.
- Climb to at least 500 feet above ground level (AGL) after takeoff before turning crosswind. All Runway 8 departures should be straight out to the east. Avoid the Gunbarrel area on departure.
- Use Runway 8 for most operations (except night landings) and when the wind is less than five knots from the west and expected to remain at less than five knots.
- Avoid making touch-and-go landings at the Boulder Municipal Airport before 8 a.m. and after 5 p.m.
- Avoid flight operations between 11 p.m. and 7 a.m. For early morning departures (before 7 a.m.), please depart straight out to the east and reduce power settings, consistent with safe operating procedures.
- Straight-in approaches to Runway 26 are recommended for night landings (wind and weather permitting).
Do not fly over the raptor nesting areas of the Flatirons (mountains southwest of town) from Feb. 1 through July 31. This is a protected area for peregrine falcons.
Use your discretion and always maintain safe operating procedures!
Noise Report Statistics
To report a noise concern, complete the online form below or call 303-441-3108.
For more information, contact Airport Management at 303-441-3108 or email
Aircraft Noise Report Form
Please complete the form below with as much information as you have gathered during your aircraft noise observation. If you are unsure about an item, you may leave it blank. Thank you.
* Required fields
Last Updated on Friday, 11 January 2013 11:37