Dec. 27, 1996 - Ramsey Update #02
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
December 27, 1996
Leslie Aaholm, Media Relations, 303-441/3090
Pager: 303-441-3851/pager #4060
City Web site: www.bouldercolorado.gov
Ramsey Case New Release Index
Update on Homicide Investigation
Boulder Police are continuing their investigation of the death of six-year old JonBenet Ramsey (DOB:8/6/90) which was reported on Thursday, Dec. 26. Detective Commander John Eller provided the following chronology at a news briefing on Friday, Dec. 27:
- Police responded, on Dec. 26, to the home of John and Patsy Ramsey, 755 15th Street in Boulder following a 9-1-1 call. The call, from Patsy Ramsey, stated a note had been found indicating their daughter had been kidnapped.
- Officers initiated an investigatory response to a possible kidnapping for ransom.
- The Boulder and Denver offices of the FBI were requested to assist, as was the District Attorney's Office.
- The initial stages of the investigation were directed towards preparing to comply with the ransom note instructions. Detectives remained on the scene with the family. At approximately 2 p.m., a search of the family home produced the body of the missing girl.
- An autopsy was conducted on Friday, Dec. 27 and the Boulder Co. Coroner's Office has determined the cause of death is asphyxia due to strangulation. The manner of death is homicide.
- The victim, JonBenet Ramsey, as a student at High Peaks elementary school, 3740 Martin Park Drive. The parents are John Ramsey, CEO and President of Access Graphics and Patsy Ramsey. There is an older brother who lives at home and two adult siblings who live outside the home.
Commander Eller added, "The family has been cooperative and our investigation is continuing. The Boulder Police Department's Victim Services Unit is coordinating crisis services with the Boulder County Mental Health Center and school district officials. Parents may call the Victim Services Unit at 441-3332 for information or assistance."
As of 4 p.m. Friday, Dec. 27 no arrests have been made and there are no suspects. The investigation is ongoing and updates will be provided as new information becomes available.
Last Updated on Friday, 15 June 2012 08:56