1300 Canyon Blvd
Boulder, CO 80306
(use the door on the Northeast corner)
City of Boulder
P.O. Box 791
Boulder, CO 80306
Union Pacific/Boulder Jaycees Depot, 1890
Union Pacific Depot, late 1890s
The 1890 Union Pacific/Jaycees Depot building, a Boulder landmark, is a classic example of a western Victorian-era rail station, constructed of sandstone from Anderson Quarry in Skunk Canyon. The Depot reflects the importance of rail transportation at the time it was built, as well as Boulder's prosperity in the 1890s. Originally located downtown, the building was recently moved to the Boulder Junction site near 30th and Pearl streets. Currently it is secured, but not in use.
Dignitaries at Boulder Union Pacific Depot, 1890s
What's next for the Depot?
The Depot will become an integral part of the Boulder Junction Transit Village, as the area develops with a new Regional Transportation District (RTD) regional bus facility, residential and commercial uses, a park and, in the long-term future, a regional rail stop. In January 2011, RTD and a developer officially entered into an agreement to integrate the bus facility into a transit-oriented development with a hotel and housing. The Depot will be a focal point of the development once it is complete. The city and developer are in the process of identifying a use for the building and are securing funds to rehabilitate it.
Relocated Depot at the Boulder Junction Site, 2011
When it was moved to its current location in 2008, the Depot was placed on a concrete foundation approximately 5 feet above existing grade. After surrounding improvements are made, including a new street and bridge across Goose Creek, the building will be at ground level. Additionally, the foundation was engineered to enable a basement to be created when the Depot is restored, to provide additional usable interior space.
Proposed restoration of Depot (trackside)
The Depot was built by the Union Pacific Railroad in 1890, on the north side of Canyon Boulevard (then known as Water Street), at 14th Street, in downtown Boulder. It was used as a railroad passenger station until 1957. Then it was used as a bus terminal and travel agency.
In 1973, under threat of demolition by the city, the Boulder Jaycees acquired the building and moved it to the Pow-Wow Rodeo Grounds located northwest of the intersection of 30th and Pearl streets, adjacent to then extant railroad tracks.
Move of Depot from 14th & Canyon to Pow-Wow Grounds, 1973
In 1979, the Depot was designated a local landmark for its significance to the development of Boulder's rail history and its Romanesque-Revival design, characterized by its heavy round archways and massive stone construction.
In the late 1980s, the Jaycees and the city considered relocating the Depot to Central Park in place of the Bandshell, which was in severe disrepair. Over time, the Crossroad Commons shopping center had grown up around the Depot, resulting in a less-than-ideal setting for the building, surrounded by a parking lot. A campaign was initiated to raise funds for moving the building and rehabilitating its exterior. Fundraising included selling artistic posters of the Depot and commemorative bricks to be placed around the building. However, in the end, the Depot was not moved to Central Park, as the Bandshell was designated a landmark and rehabilitated. But the funds that were raised for the Depot are still held in trust by the Parks and Recreation Foundation and will be used according to the original intent of the fundraising.
The Jaycees continued to own and operate the building for various uses until 2008, when expansion of the Crossroad Commons shopping center was proposed. To accommodate the expansion and also provide the Depot with a more suitable setting, the city acquired the building and moved it to Boulder Junction. The Depot's new location, adjacent to the Burlington, Northern and Santa Fe (formerly Union Pacific) railroad tracks, once again associates the building with Boulder's rail history.
Move of Depot from Crossroads Common to Boulder Junction , Oct. 2, 2008
Last Updated on Wednesday, 25 July 2012 10:11