Meet the commanders
The Boulder Police Department’s Patrol Section provides the community with professional police services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
The Patrol Section is the largest section in the department. Most patrol officers are assigned to one of three shifts or watches: Watch I (day shift), Watch II (swing shift) and Watch III (graveyard shift). Officers on each watch are assigned to work one of five specific geographical areas or beats in the community. There are also officers assigned to specific units that provide DUI enforcement, patrol the University Hill and Pearl Street Mall areas.
Patrol officers respond to emergency and routine calls for service, conduct criminal investigations and apprehend offenders. They also enforce traffic laws, investigate traffic collisions and provide proactive and directed patrols within the community.
The patrol division also includes School Resource Officers and the Community Services Unit.
School Resource Officers (SRO) are assigned to schools to help provide a safe learning environment and reduce school violence, to improve school and law enforcement collaboration; to build relationships with students and staff; and to respond to and address crime in schools.
Officers with the Community Services Unit provide crime prevention services, including:
- Home and business security assessments
- Reviews of proposed business and residential development projects utilizing the CPTED (Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design)
- Child Safety Seat installation/inspection
- Colorado Life Track for community members with memory issues
- Safety First education for community members with disabilities
- Crime Free programs
- Tours of the police department for school and community groups
- Neighborhood Watch-type programs
The department’s Latino Liaison Officer is assigned to the Community Services Unit. The liaison officer attends various community meetings to address concerns about police actions as well as special events within the Latino community. The liaison officer also interacts with SROs on a regular basis and assists them with language translation.
Last Updated on Friday, 13 July 2012 09:29