City Council Energy Documents Archive
City Council Meetings and Study Sessions
Information presented at most City Council Meetings falls under the "Matters from the City Manager" agenda item. All council meetings, including study sessions, are recorded and are available on the Channel 8 City Council Archive website. Use the drop-down menu on the Channel 8 web page to select a specific council meeting.
April 16, 2013 - City Council Meeting - Council provided guidance to move forward with the municipalization exploration study and begin the formation of an independent group of experts to verify that a light and power utility can be established according to the city charter. Findings were presented by Executive Director Heather Bailey. Hearing also included a special presentation from Mike Grimm, COO of Denton Municipal Energy (DME) in Texas, who provided examples of what a municipally operated utility could do along the lines of renewable energy integration and business and community growth. Presentation was followed by public comment.
Feb. 26, 2013 - Study Session - Council received preliminary results and provided feedback on the municipalization exploration modeling and acquisition analysis to-date. The analysis looks at six different options for moving forward with Boulder's Energy Future and the municpalization exploration study. Council was not asked to choose a preferred option, but rather to provide feedback so staff could refine scope of Phase II of the work plan.
Dec. 11, 2012 Study Session - Council received an update on municipalization exploration, the new Climate Committment, Climate Action Plan work for 2013, the city's Energy Performance Contract, and Commercial Energy Efficiency Strategies.
Nov. 15, 2012 Council Meeting - Council reviewed and approved the DRAFT Municipalization Charter Requirement Metrics.
Oct. 16, 2012 Council Meeting - Council reviewed the DRAFT Municipalization Charter Metrics under the consent agenda and decided to bring them back for a public hearing on Nov. 15
Aug. 28, 2012 Study Session - Council heard presentations, answered questions and provided feedback on the Municipalization Exploration draft work plan, project budget and draft metrics. Study Session summary.
July 24, 2012 Study Session - Council heard presentations, answered questions and provided feedback on work that has been done since the May 22 Study Session, including:
- Municipalization requirements and guidelines and general work areas (detailed conversation about this will be held during an Aug. 28 Study Session).
- Energy Action Plan items including CAP Tax, Commercial Energy Efficiency Strategies, and building code changes
- Read the memo to City Council
- Read the meeting summary
Read the complete Study Session memo and attachments that include:
- Charter guidelines
- Brendle Report on Climate Action Plan program options
- Executive summary of the RMI analysis of current Climate Action Plan programs and services
- Commercial Energy Efficiency Strategy Timeline
Read the Climate Action Plan Tax Survey Results
June 5, 2012 - Council heard the introduction, first reading and consideration of the potential continuation of the Climate Action Plan Tax, which would be on the Nov. 6, 2012 ballot. Staff recommended council place the CAP tax continuation item on the ballot.
May 22, 2012 - Council heard staff and consultant presentations and provided input on potential long-term climate action goals, the opportunity to extend the existing CAP tax and considerations related to a commercial energy efficiency strategy.
- Presentation slides - Includes slides from the city and Rocky Mountain Institute regarding their CAP program analysis
- Study Session Memo with all attachments
- A - Energy Future Work Plan Chart
- B - Environmental Advisory Board Feedback
- C - 2011 Additional RBI Cost Model Analysis
- D - Resource Modeling Group and Methodology
- E - Climate Action Plan Analysis Report prepared by Rocky Mountain Institute
- F - 2006 CAP Tax Ballot Language
- G - DRAFT 2012 CAP Tax Ballot Language under option 2
- H - CAP 2013 and Beyond - Proposed Work Plan
- I - Summary of Research on Long-Term Climate Action Goals
- J - Summary of April 24 Focus Group on Commercial Energy Efficiency Strategy
- K - Summary of June 9, 2011 Large Commercial Property Owner Charrette
- L - Matrix of Commercial Building Energy Efficiency Incentives and Policies from other communities
- M - Proposed Commercial Energy Efficiency Strategy
- N - DRAFT Process Timeline for Commercial Energy Efficiency Strategy
- Study Session Summary
Jan. 31, 2012 - Discussion of proposed 2012 work plan, including next steps in the analysis of potential municipalization of Boulder's electric distribution system.
Memo attachments include:
2011 Meetings & Study Sessions
Aug. 16, 2011: City Council Meeting - Third Reading Potential Ballot Language
Aug. 2, 2011: City Council Meeting - Second Reading Potential Ballot Language
July 26, 2011 - Study Session with City Council
July 19, 2011: City Council Meeting - First Reading Potential Ballot Language
- Watch the July 19 meeting on Channel 8's website
- Meeting minutes
- Meeting Materials:
- Presentation slides
- Memorandum to City Council from staff- includes all attachments
- Attachments in Memo (page #):
- A - Proposed ordinance providing the authorization for a municipal power and electric utility (Pages 19 - 30)
- B - Proposed ordinance extending and increasing the CAP Tax to March 31, 2018 (Pages 31 - 34)
- C1 - Ballot title drafted in the TABOR ballot style (Pages 35 - 36)
- C2 - Ballot title with revenue limitations (Page 37)
- D - Brookings Institute: Boulder's Clean Economy (Page 38)
- E - Updated inventory and valuation of assets ( Pages 39 - 75)
- F - Municipalization timeline (Page 76)
- G - Wholesale power supply pricing (Pages 77 - 78)
- H - Responses to June 14 Study Session questions (Pages 79 - 87)
- I - June 28 Community Meeting Feedback (Pages 88 - 99)
- J - Public Comment (Pages 100 - 115)
- Xcel negotiation update memo from staff
- IBM's Smarter Cities Challenge Report on Boulder's SmartGridCity Infrastructure
- Responses to Councilmember Cowles' questions to staff on July 14, 2011
June 14, 2011: City Council Study Session
June 7, 2011 - City Council meeting
May 10, 2011 - Study Session
- The purposeof this study session was to present, discuss and receive council feedback on preliminary findings related to Boulder's energy goals and supply-side options.
April 26, 2011 - Study Session on Potential Ballot Items
March 1, 2011 - City Council Meeting
February 15, 2011 - City Council Meeting
December 21, 2010 - Study Session
June 3, 2010 - Study Session
April 13, 2010 - Study Session
City Council Energy Roundtables
These meetings were held on City Council Study Session Tuesdays, which are normally held on the Tuesday between normally scheduled City Council Meetings in the Municipal Building Lobby.
2012 Roundtable Meetings:
Dec. 11, 2012 - Exploring alternative opportunities for reaching Boulder's Energy Future Goals
Oct. 9, 2012 - Metrics and project update
May 8, 2012
March 13, 2012
Jan. 10, 2012
2011 Roundtable Meetings:
- Dec. 6, 2011
- May 24, 2011
- April 26, 2011
- April 12, 2011
- March 8, 2011
- February 22, 2011
- November 9, 2010
- October 26, 2010
- October 12, 2010
- September 28, 2010
- September 14, 2010
Last Updated on Friday, 19 April 2013 11:02