May 9, 2012 - 30th Street improvements project wins two awards
Mike Banuelos, Public Works, 303-441-4073
Sarah Huntley, Media Relations, 303-441-3155
30th Street improvements project wins two awards
Completed in the summer of 2011, the 30th Street Transportation Improvements Project recently won two industry awards. A brief description of each award is included below:
Award of Merit for Bridge Construction
From the Rocky Mountain Chapter of the American Concrete Institute
From the American Concrete Institute, “The project built a uniquely designed bridge in a tightly constrained urban business district while keeping traffic lanes open during the entire construction period. The project had complex construction sequencing and coordination between the city, contractor and public and private utilities.” Also named in the award was the primary contractor, Concrete Works of Colorado, Inc.; Tsiouvaras Simmons Holderness, structural engineer; Bestway Concrete Company, concrete supplier; and, Studio Terra, Inc. landscape architect.
Honorable Mention for Engineering and Construction Management
From the Colorado Chapter of the American Public Works Association
From the American Public Works Association, “The true innovations were realized in the project’s collaborative design, creative funding and a partnering approach with the community to achieve its ‘complete street’ improvements while minimizing impacts to the public."
The 30th Street Transportation Improvements Project constructed bicycle lanes and made other multimodal improvements from Arapahoe to Mapleton avenues to improve access and connections along 30th Street. This project was an important upgrade to the 30th Street corridor to meet current travel needs as well as the future travel needs of the Boulder Junction area.
Additional project highlights include:
- Multi-use path connection between the east side of 30th Street and Goose Creek Greenway;
- Mid-block pedestrian crossings on 30th Street between Canyon Boulevard and Walnut Street and between Pearl Street and Goose Creek Greenway;
- An additional left turn lane for northbound 30th Street at Pearl Street
- A multi-use path on the east side of 30th Street from Arapahoe Avenue to Walnut Street;
- Transit stop amenities and urban streetscape improvements in portions of the corridor; and
- Underground portions of the power line on the east side of 30th Street.
For more information about the project or the awards, contact Noreen Walsh at 303-441-3266.
Last Updated on Friday, 15 June 2012 07:46